What is Event Response mode?
If your Blink Video Doorbell is not connected to a Sync Module 2 or is not connected to compatible chime wiring, the doorbell enters into Event Response mode.
When your Blink Video Doorbell is operating in Event Response mode, features such as Live View and two-way audio are only available for doorbell presses and when motion is detected.
Once a Sync Module 2 is added to the doorbell's system, or the doorbell is connected to compatible chime wiring, the doorbell automatically exits Event Response mode.
Using the Blink Video Doorbell with batteries
Your Blink Video Doorbell is powered by two AA lithium batteries. Adding your doorbell to a Sync Module 2 and/or connecting it to your existing chime's wires can extend battery life. However, batteries are the main source of power for the doorbell and are required for your Blink Video Doorbell to function. Battery performance is directly related to the amount of use.
Using your Blink Video Doorbell in Event Response Mode
Wondering which features are available in Event Response mode? See the table or detailed descriptions below to view your options. More features are available when you sign up for a Blink Subscription Plan.
Event Response mode features
|Event Response||Event Response with Subscription Plan|
|Chime App Notifications||Yes||Yes|
|Live View through Blink app
||Yes. Tap motion notifications within 60 seconds for Live View. Not accessed directly in the app.||Yes. Tap notifications within 60 seconds for Live View. Not accessed directly in the app.|
Live View through Alexa
|Save Motion Clips (video)||No||Yes|
|Save Live Views||No||Yes|
|Photo Thumbnail||No||Yes (Only after a doorbell press or a motion event)|
1. Live View and two-way audio (with or without a Blink Subscription Plan)
While your Blink Video Doorbell is in Event Response mode, you can't access Live View from your Blink App. However, Live View and two-way audio are available when:
- Your Blink Video Doorbell ringer is pressed.
- Your system is Armed for Motion Detection and your Blink Video Doorbell detects motion.
Your mobile device will send you a push notification when either of these two events happen. Tap the notification within 60 seconds to enter a Live View session with two-way audio.
2. Viewing and saving clips
Note: An active Blink Subscription Plan is required to save motion clips (video). Saved motion clips from your doorbell appear in Clips with a bell icon next to the clip thumbnail.
Without a subscription, Live View and motion clips are not saved.
- While in Event Response mode, your Blink Video Doorbell displays clips as a Non Media Event in the thumbnail area. This indicates an event happened, but nothing can be watched.
3. Photo Capture
Note: To use Photo Capture while in Event Response mode, you must have an active Blink Subscription Plan and your doorbell must be armed. The Photo Capture setting for your Blink Video Doorbell is off by default.
- Photo Capture stores a photo every hour. If there are no doorbell presses or motion events, the photos are compressed into a short video that you can view in the Clips section of the app.
- When a doorbell press or motion event happens, any previous Photo Captures are converted to your clip list, so the new event can be processed right away. Each time Photo Capture stops, you receive a video of the images taken up to that point.
- Learn more about Photo Capture in the Photo Capture FAQ.
4. Photo Thumbnail
Note: An active Blink Subscription Plan is required for Photo Thumbnails.
- Photo thumbnails can't be generated directly within the app while the doorbell is in Event Response mode.
- If you don't have a Blink Subscription Plan, your Event Response mode Blink Video Doorbell will be gray while on the home screen.
- The thumbnail is updated each time the doorbell ringer button is pressed.
These features are not available when your doorbell is in Event Response mode even if you have a Blink Subscription Plan. Once a Sync Module 2 is added to the doorbell's system, or the doorbell is connected to compatible chime wiring, the doorbell automatically exits Event Response mode. These features will then become available.
- Access Live View directly from the Blink app
Press your Blink Video Doorbell to save your settings
In Event Response mode, you must press the doorbell button to:
Arm or Disarm the camera.
Turn Motion Detection on or off.
Update any new Settings changes.
Note: If the button isn't pressed, your doorbell checks in once every 24 hours to automatically download any new setting changes.
If you are interested in a adding your Blink Video Doorbell to a Sync Module 2, or connecting it your existing chime wiring, see these articles for more information: